Thursday, April 26, 2012

World Building Series: Characters -- Part I

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Although I could go on (and on) about Language Construction within my World Building Series, I've decided to break away from it momentarily to discuss the most important area of writing: Characters.

Some may argue that it is the plot of the story that is the most important, and while it is definitely high on the list, I feel that the characters drive the plot and engross readers more so than the plot itself.  As a writer, I can attest that my characters usually write the story for me.  Their personalities and idiosyncrasies catapult the plot from Chapter One until the book's conclusion in a way that scene-writing/plotting almost seems like a waste of time (this is absolutely not the case, of course, but more on that in a future post).  It is for this reason that having relatable characters is crucial to your story's likability and success.

When a story idea forms in my mind, I take the time to jot down the basics of it and store it safely in a place where it can... ferment, for the lack of a better word.  It is while it is fermenting that I do the other important processes in pre-writing--and at the top of the list is character sketching/mapping.

Character sketching for me is not actually what the name suggests.  Try as I may, I am no artist (in the sketching/painting sense) and cannot draw for the life of me.  Instead, I answer a series of questions about a character's general physical appearance (gender, height/weight/build, age, hair & eye color, any outstanding and notable features).  I usually will use the general descriptions I have created and search through Google Images for photos of actors/actresses that fit the profile.  For me, having a physical image in front of me makes it easier to refer to while writing.  (Check out my Post on Pinterest for an example on how to organize your images).

After I've done the afore-mentioned, I will also answer questions about my characters intellectual and emotional qualities (intelligence level, skills, occupation, family life, religious beliefs, relationship status, et cetera).  Lastly, I answer any questions that pertain specifically to the character's direct (or for minor characters, indirect) influence on the plot.

Once I have a handful of characters mapped out, I usually let those ferment as well as I move on to the other aspects of pre-writing.  By the time I come back to them, something has inevitably always changed--so I go ahead and complete the edits then and there while the thoughts are fresh (note: I almost always save the original sketches, however, just in case I need to go back to them for whatever reason).

Personally, I make my own template and print them out on index cards, but there are many great resources on the internet for Character Sheets--pre-made templates for the types of questions I mentioned above.

Here is one example:
Source Credit: redsoxrock01 @ deviantArt

Well that's all for now, kiddos :)  Stay tuned for the next post in this series!


4 comments:

  1. I think I say this or similar possibly enough to be creepy/stalker-ish, but I feel the same about my characters. Most of the time, they come into my head fully formed. They know their own story, and they won't rest until I tell it, and tell it RIGHT. They know how the story will end because they already lived it. Often I get one trait, one catchphrase, or one little tiny thing at a time. Like, before I know a name, I will know: this character has red curly hair that she wears super long. Or she fights with a pair of longswords. Or a voice with a certain accent before any actual words. The craziest by far though was the character who only talked in pink. I do almost all of my drafting in longhand, and I happened to have a pink pen in my hand one day and she started pouring out her story faster than I could write it. And she would *only* talk in pink--if I sat down to write with any other color, away she went in a huff. I hate pink, but I have a stash of pink pens just for her.

    Somewhere there is a bed in an asylum with my name on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it has pink walls, and one of those pink ruffled bedskirts (tulle, no doubt).

      Just teasing.

      I love this comment because I feel the same way. Sometimes my characters appear to me as someone entirely different--just to catch my attention long enough to start scribbling notes about them--and then WHAM! they go and morph on me, changing not only themselves, but the plot as well. Like how the protagonist of 'The Son of Drynntorm' [Kuthaern] started out originally as the antagonist. And not to spoil it for anyone, but he still is the antagonist of the series, just not of the first book.

      Delete
  2. There's probably a short story in that. Like The Yellow Wallpaper, except The Pink Tulle Bedskirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this was Facebook, I'd have already clicked on the "Like" button.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...